Monday 10 February 2014

Simple Winnie the Pooh Honey Cake Recipe


Winnie the Pooh Honey Cake Recipe


I like cake moulds. In fact, I love them. I have a growing collection that is filling up my baking cupboard faster than I can remember what I even have anymore. Upon such realization, I decided to take a look and remind myself of all the different moulds that had not seen the light of the oven in some time, and discovered many wonders that have now been queued for use.
One such mould was my Disney Winnie the Pooh face cake mould that I received from the Disney's Cakes & Sweets magazine collection (a collection, I might add, that has provided me endless hours of entertainment, providing adorable recipes and even more adorable and good quality baking gifts!).


Look how happy he is to see you!



 I used to love Winnie the Pooh when I was growing up, and still own a vast collection of books and soft toys that I have kept in his honour (and could not bring myself to throw away!). I always loved his unfathomable happiness in his oh-so-simple life, and the endless curiosity and kindness he had for the most everyday things. Childish I know, but I believe there is something that adults especially can learn from such a basic lesson. One such thing he loved most of course, was honey!And so in honour of Winnie's love, I decided to make his cake a honey cake!




I may have filled it a little too much.. !


I did a bit of research into honey cake recipes as I had only attempted honey cupcakes before and although I could have easily adapted this for a bigger cake, I preferred to research into simple but delicious looking honey cake recipes that seemed appropriate for the mould. Another lesson I learned too however, was to not be lazy and overfill the mould.. because it will overflow drastically! (This did however provide a delicious little deformed splodge of a cake that served as a taste test!).

If you've never felt the excitment of pulling away a mould.. I highly suggest you change this.




An overflow of cake is normal and is actually better than not rising enough so don't worry if yours seems to be double the cake that you intended. With the additional cake, use a sharp knife to cut across the top of the mould, following the moulds edge, until you're left with a mould which is filled with cake but does not have any overflowing the edges.


And voila!


This recipe was adapted from NetMums' honey cake recipe, using only 8 everyday ingredients this produces a moist but dense cake packed full of sweet honey and cinnamon flavours!



Ingredients




For the Cake:

120g Butter
2 Tbsp Caster Sugar
3 - 4 Tbsp Honey (I used Spanish Forest)
2 Eggs (Beaten)
200g Self-Raising flour
1 to 1 and 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 to 2 Tbsp Water


For the Icing:

 60g Icing Sugar
1/2 Tbsp Honey
Water (as needed, approx. 1 to 2 Tsp)


Directions

  •  Preheat an oven to 180C.
  • Grease a Winnie the Pooh cake mould or your chosen cake tin. 
  • In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and honey.
  • Beat in the eggs.
  • Fold in the flour and cinnamon and mix, adding water as necessary until the mixture is smooth but not too liquid.
  • Bake for approx. 30 to 40 mins (until golden and springy to the touch).
  • To make the icing, place the icing sugar in a mug or small bowl and add water until it is slightly more liquid than a glaze icing.
  • Mix in the honey until it is well combined and drizzle over the cake.
Tips & Serving Ideas

  • Serve with cream or honeycomb ice cream. 
  • Fold in some raisins or sultanas into the sponge, or place decoratively on top.
  • Decorate with chopped honeycomb pieces, nuts, flaked almonds or try your hand at making some fondant bees!
  • Sprinkle over some gold edible glitter.
  • Alternatively, you could cover the cake in marzipan and/or fondant (be sure to add in his eyes and nose!).


     
Cara X 

No comments:

Post a Comment